What Is the Best Thing to Use to Clean Canvas Awnings?
First impressions are important; therefore, you always want to make a good one. Since canvas awnings are usually the first thing a visitor sees when entering or passing by an office, home, or store, you should make sure your canvas awning looks its best. However, you may be unsure what to use to clean your canvas awning. To help, here are some simple canvas awning cleaning tips to make the best first impression possible to your guests or customers.
What to use to Clean Canvas Awnings
Before you begin to clean your canvas awning, make sure that you have the right tools for the job. Use the following supplies during the cleaning process:
- Soft brush or broom
- Plastic, protective sheets
- Mild soap or dish detergent
- Hose or access to running water
- Cloth or rag
- Ladder (Only needed if you are not taking the awning down to clean)
- Bleach (Needed if you are spot-treating mildew)
- Fabric protectant spray
How to Clean Canvas Awnings
It may seem simple, but the best thing to use to clean canvas awnings, is dish detergent and water. If you need to treat tougher stains or mildew, you can add a small amount of color-safe bleach to your cleaning process.
Follow the steps below to clean your canvas awning properly and effectively:
- Inspect the canvas awning for any tears or holes in the fabric.
- Brush away excess dirt, leaves, or foliage before adding moisture to the awning.
- From top to bottom, scrub away the dirt using mild, soapy water. If your canvas awning has mildew, add one cup of color-safe bleach to one gallon of soapy water to clean the afflicted area.
- Do not immediately rinse away the soap. Let the soap soak into the fabric for approximately 15 minutes.
- Rinse the canvas awning with a hose until all the soap residue is gone.
- Allow the canvas awning to air dry.
Upgrade Your Canvas Awning at Universal Awning & Sign
Is your canvas awning is filthy, faded, stained, or beyond repair? If so, then it may be time to have it replaced. When shopping for a new canvas awning, look no further than Universal Awning & Sign, Central Florida’s premier custom awning and sign manufacturers. With a variety of colors and fabrics available, our awnings are weather-proof, durable, and reliable against Florida’s unpredictable weather. To learn more about our services and selection of canvas awnings, call us today at 407-328-7781.