What Should I Use to Clean an Awning With?
Due to Florida’s hot, rainy, and humid climate, awnings have become a popular outdoor fixture that allows for year-round outdoor relaxation. However, it is common for awnings to be stained or damaged after prolonged exposure to the elements. To get the longest lifespan out of your awning, it is important to know how to properly maintain and clean your awning. Here are some of the tools required to care for your soon-to-be clean awning.
Required Tools to Clean Awning Materials
Before you begin, make sure you have all the required tools and materials necessary to properly clean your awning. You will need a:
- Bucket and sponge
- Cleaning solvent
- Scrub brush
Cleaning Solutions for Your Awning
Your clean awning will look like new if you follow this simple, yet effective, process:
- Begin by removing any loose debris including leaves, dirt, cobwebs, etc.
- Dampen your awning with water to prepare it for your cleaning solution.
- Which cleaning solution you use will depend on the material of your awning:
- Fixed, rollup, retractable awnings – Use a mild laundry detergent and lukewarm water.
- Metal awnings – Use a metal cleaning solvent and water.
- Mix your cleaning solution with water in a spray bottle and either directly apply it to the awning or use a sponge and bucket. Let the solution soak for about 10 minutes.
- Use a soft, bristled brush to scrub the top and bottom of the awning material.
- Thoroughly rinse off the awning and allow it to air dry as much as possible before retracting it.
Get an Upgraded Clean Awning at Universal Awning
If your awning is stained or damaged beyond repair, it may be time to skip the cleaning process and have it replaced. Universal Awning & Sign is Central Florida’s premier custom awning manufacturers and installers. Our awnings are built to last in Florida’s harsh environment and will perform at a high level for years to come.
To learn more about our services and selection of affordable, durable, and long-lasting awnings, call us today at 407-328-7781.