Hurricane Season Checklist for Your Awning
As hurricane season approaches, it is important to ensure you are prepared for what mother nature has in store. If you have any type of awning, it is time to evaluate how to prep your awning to ensure it is ready for potential storms. Below are some things to consider when getting ready for this year’s hurricane season.
The most important thing to check first is that your metal awning will remain attached to your building in sustained winds of up to 175 mph. Check that each connection and attachment is tightly fastened. If and when you do receive news that a hurricane warning has been issued, you should remove your fabric awning cover.
If a hurricane does touch down near your home, your awning cover can potentially rip due to the high winds. You can prevent this from happening by removing the fabric from your awning. In order to remove your awning, you must:
- Use a ladder to reach the wrap bar
- Cut the string on the physical bar—not against the fabrics and metal rings
- Ensure you are cutting all of the laces of the string
- Pull the fabric on all sides of the frame to release the tension
- Slide the cover off of its track attached to your home or property
- After removing the cover, tie and secure the fabric
- Place covering in a safe place to protect it from damage
Reinstalling Your Awning After a Hurricane
Once the storm has passed, contact Universal Awning & Sign if you need help repairing a damaged awning or reinstalling a removed awning cover so that you don’t miss out on any of the rewarding benefits that an awning provides your home or business. Added benefits to your property include:
- Increased home market value
- The ability for customers to quickly identify your business
- Additional space for entertainment
- Blocked UV rays from the sun
- Prolonged quality of your outdoor furniture
- Maintained indoor temperature for your home or business
- Reduced indoor energy costs
Invest in a Durable, Hurricane-Ready Awning
At Universal Awning & Sign, our professionally manufactured and highly functional awnings can be a great addition to your home or business space. Our creations are built to withstand any storm or weather that comes to Florida and is sure to be of high performance for years to come. To learn more about our services or schedule your free quote, call us today at 407-328-7781.