Retractable Awning Pros and Cons
Enjoying the outdoors in Florida can be difficult when you have the sun’s brutal heat beating down your neck as soon as you step outside. A great way to relax outside your home while also receiving protection against Florida’s heat is by adding an awning to your property. However, there are many different awning styles on the market. One of the most popular awning styles is a retractable awning.
Attractive and easy to install, retractable awnings provide your home’s exterior with a versatile space that can be covered or uncovered depending on the weather or your mood.
Consider These Retractable Awning Pros and Cons Before Purchase
To help you decide if a retractable awning is right for you, here are a few pros and cons of retractable awnings to keep in mind:
Benefits of a Retractable Awning
- Gives you and your home shade: The top reason retractable awnings are a great investment is that they help maintain a cool exterior and interior temperature for your home. Plus, having a retractable awning allows you and your family to spend more time outdoors.
- Protects your outdoor furniture: Overtime, the harsh rays from the sun can bleach the fabric on your outside furniture. Fortunately, the shade from a retractable awning will minimize the sun exposure and damage that your outdoor furniture and equipment receives.
- Longer lifespan: Severe weather and harsh wind can damage and tear exposed fixed awnings, which is why retractable awnings enjoy a longer lifespan. Also, similar to patio furniture, the sun can bleach the fabric on an awning—giving retractable awnings an advantage over fixed ones.
- Added property value: If you plan on selling your home, a well-maintained retractable awning can increase the value of your home to potential buyers.
Retractable Awning Drawbacks:
- More expensive: While retractable awnings are more expensive compared to other awnings, its longevity and durability will offset the initially higher upfront cost and end up saving you money on replacement costs in the long run.
- Costly repairs: Some types of motorized retractable awnings have remote sensors that send a signal to the awning to retract when it starts to rain or harsh weather is approaching. In the rare instance that a sensor breaks, buying a replacement can be pricey.
- Maintenance and cleaning: All awnings require regular cleaning; however, if you don’t clean a retractable awning properly, it can get rusty, stuck, and grow mold—which can lead to performance issues.
Durable Retractable Awnings at Universal Awning & Sign
If you’re ready to invest in a retractable awning for your home, then contact the professionals at Universal Awning & Sign. For over 60 years, we have provided Central Florida residents with affordable, durable, long-lasting awnings and a satisfying experience from style selection through installation. All of our retractable awnings are available in a variety of vibrant colors that will last in Florida’s harsh environment and perform at a high level for years to come.
To learn more about our services and retractable awning styles, call Universal Awning & Sign today at 407-328-7781.