When Should I Replace My Outdoor Awning?
An outdoor awning for your Central Florida home is a near necessity if you truly want to enjoy your backyard without feeling the full effect of Florida’s hot and humid climate. While your awning will take care of you during such intense weather, it’s equally important that you take care of it. However, if your outdoor awning has seen better days, it may be time for an upgrade.
Here are several instances that you might want to consider replacing your outdoor awning.
Your Awning Is Old
Despite being made out of strong materials, awnings will become weak with age and need replacing over time. The most vulnerable part of your awning is the fabric. Its lifespan can range anywhere from 5 to 15 years depending on where you live, its maintenance, and its level of exposure. After a few years, the motor on a retractable awning can also become worn and may warrant a replacement. While it’s possible for you to replace different parts of your awning at different times, it’s important to keep the entire awning properly maintained and up-to-date to ensure it performs to the best of its ability.
Your Awning Is Damaged
Florida weather is intense and unpredictable. Whether it’s rain, winds, or extreme sun, exposure to the elements can cause a variety of damage to your outdoor awning. Here are a few of the most common types of damage that may necessitate an awning replacement.
- Mold – Heavy rain will cause mold to form as the fabric becomes moist. It’s possible to combat mold by spraying down your awning. Too much mold, however, may require replacement.
- Fabric tears – Strong wind can whip around the fabric, causing tears or rips. Fallen tree limbs can also puncture awning fabric. It’s important to replace your awning when the fabric becomes too torn to provide protection.
- Sagging – Debrisor vegetation can accumulate on an awning, causing it to sag. Additionally, leftover rainfall can create a pool of water which can stretch the fabric beyond repair.
- Rust – Rust on the metal can advance the aging process of your outdoor awning. If an awning becomes too rusty, it could break and become a hazard that needs replacing.
- Sun Damage – The sun’s harsh UV rays can cause discoloration on the fabric of your awning. As it loses its color over time, it will also lose its strength. A weak awning needs replacement.
You Want a New Look
If you simply desire a new aesthetic for your home, replacing your old awning for a newer, more colorful upgrade could be just what your house needs. Awnings come in a variety of colors, styles, and sizes to accommodate your specific needs. In addition to providing shade and being a great investment for your home, awnings can also protect your carports, front porches, and back porches from both the sun and rain. If your current outdoor awning no longer provides such amenities, then it is time for you to replace it.
Your Central Florida Awning Replacement Professionals
If you’re ready to replace or upgrade your outdoor awning, contact the professionals at Universal Awning & Sign. As Central Florida’s premier custom awning and sign mafnufacturers and installers, we provide a variety of awning materials, including acrylic, vinyl, metal and fiberglass, at an affordable rate. All of our creations are built to last in Florida’s harsh environment and will perform at a high level for years to come.
To learn more about our services and selection of outdoor awnings, visit our website or call us today at 407-328-7781.